Saint Louis, Missouri

In an effort to simplify our lives and save a few bucks, my wife switched our vehicle insurance to eSurance in May 2008. I was skeptical-I like to be able to visit an agent in-person if need be-but everything seemed okay at first. Several months later, I was involved in a motorcycle accident. It was the first accident I had ever had, and I'm 45 yrs old. I suffered no injuries, and the damage to the bike was minimal. In fact, under MN state law, this was not even a reportable accident. As it was an old bike I had elected to hold only liability coverage, so no claim was made.

However, the police did come to the scene, ask for proof of insurance, etc - and I gave them my eSurance policy number. This is standard practice, and it appears they wrote a report and submtted it to the state despite the fact that its circumstances did not meet the statutory threshold for reporting. Several months later, I received a letter from the state advising that they had contacted eSurance to verify that I had coverage, and that eSurance had DEINED that I had coverage at the time of the accident. Subsequently, my license to drive was being suspended and the license plates on my bike were revoked and had to be surrendered.

I contacted the state immediately, and told them my story, and faxed them documents that I had, including the binder & credit card records of payments that proved I had payed the amount specified for that coverage. They were satisfied, and said they were familiar with problems of this sort with eSurance. They saw I had a perfect driving record, would have no trouble getting insured, and who in the world drives a motorcycle without insurance to save $60 a year? They said if i secured coverage elsewhere and gave them proof of having done so, they would correct my record.

Now heres the rub: eSurance DOES NOT insure motorcycles! Yes, thats right. They ACT like they do, and will SELL motorcycle insurance to you, but the company that underwrites the policy is NOT eSurance. So does eSurance tell you that at the time you give them money for your motorcycle insurance policy? No, they don't. Incidentally, they made a notation on my auto insurance with a code number which seemed to correspond to my purchase of motorcycle coverage, but looking at my insurance documents and cab card, motorcycle coverage is not specified. However, the difference between what I paid for my car and the total bill equals what I paid for motorcycle coverage.

So, when they were asked to verify motorcycle insurance was in effect, did they tell them that they had sold me a policy from another company - or refer them to that company to verify it was in force? No, they simply denied me.

Incidentally, I cancelled my coverage with eSurance immediately after securing coverage with GEICO - and I actually saved a lot of money switching to them. Two weeks later, I received a letter from eSurance advising me that THEY were cancelling my coverage because I HAD A REPORTABLE ACCIDENT & HAD NOT REPORTED IT TO THEM, AND HAD FALSELY claimed to had my motorcycle insured by them. Someone want to tell me why I would have to report an accident to them if I DIDN'T have a policy with them in the first place?

Esurance is an absurd company, seems to cater to those with difficulty getting insurance coverage, and either intentionally obtuse or is just clueless. In any case, I do NOT recommend you ever purchase coverage thru eSurance - and caution anyone who must deal with them or their insured persons related to a claim.

Comments

The above facts provide this ex Esurance customer with testimony from a third party

concerning the below standard and unethical activities personally experienced. With me the Company misreported the V.I.N. on my car after I had been with them for over one year.

This false information was swooped upon by the CA. DMV (not the sharpest pencil in the drawer)and alledged to be an error on my part of not having Pl and PD insurance. All the time the vin is on the registration, in the system, and on the 928registry.com, so the DMV can't deny I was being falsely accused. The printout I paid for that day and showed the paper pusher at the DMV verified my valid and present insured VIN.

Do you think the DMV had an answer? THGe statement was you can wait to talk to a

manager!!! Meanwhile the Esurance rep is pursueing something about a reissuiance of the V.I.N. which only some special licensed

agent broker or employee can fulfill. In tha course of one month I was to renew the policy. Not this time. They are colluded, with the DMV. Now I sue them. Thank You for the relating statements about the White Mountain Subsidiary.

Esurance Reviews